Thursday, March 20, 2008

Bela Lugosi Lives?

I just read that Bauhaus has just released an album of new material, their first in 25! years. Entitled Going Away White, apparently the album really is the bands' going away present, because some "undisclosed incident" caused them to have a falling out that will prevent them from touring or making any more music together. What a shame.

I haven't checked out the new music yet, but the news inspired me to play my favorite Bauhaus recording, side 1, album 1 of Bauhaus:1979-1983. Yes, a record. Yes, I am a dinosaur. I own an iPod with a gargantuan hard drive, but if I'm in my office I'd rather listen to the vinyl, okay? The last siong on the side is "Bela Lugosi's Dead", which would probably make my extensive list of Best Songs Ever.

And for more Goth music fun, check out A Life Less Lived: The Gothic Box, which is three CDs and a DVD of early Goth tunes. The Bauhaus influence is stong on this collection,which has an excellent book of photographs, liner notes, and--chuckle--Goth dance moves, and comes wrapped in a leather corset-thingy. In addition to the Bauhaus song "She's in Parties", there are songs from Tones on Tail, Dali's Car, Love and Rockets, Daniel Ash, and Peter Murphy--all Bauhaus spin-off projects. And the DVD, of course, has the video for "Bela Lugosi's Dead".

No comments: